‘Colonial African Experience’
Shamwari Riverdene Lodge on the Shamwari Game Reserve is a restored frontier homestead which now serves as a luxurious and family-friendly safari resort. Situated overlooking the Bushman’s River, this lodge has 9 luxurious suites which are suitable for families as well as being inviting and spacious. The main lodge features indoor and outdoor dining areas, a bar, a children’s activity centre and a relaxation retreat. For entertainment, guests are welcomed on two daily game drives to see the wild animals of Africa, an experience not to be missed. Guests are also welcome to visit some of the nearby centres such as the Born Free Foundation and the Rhino Awareness Centre.
In Our Opinion‘A truly memorable experience for the whole family - a place where friends are made.’
A spacious room featuring modern amenities and an inviting décor.
Shamwari Private Reserve
Known as one of the world’s leading conservation companies and leading safari and game reserves Shamwari boasts the following:
• Environmental award from American Society of Travel Agents
• Traveller’s Choice 2008 from Trip Advisor
• Largest Private game reserve in the Eastern Cape
• One of the largest private conservation initiatives in Southern Africa
• Largest concentration of wildlife in the Eastern & Southern Cape
• A premier Big 5 which is private & exclusive to Shamwari guests only
• 5 of South Africa’s 7 biomes occur on Shamwari
• Malaria free
• Unique safari based activities for a complete tailor-made experience
• Unique activities aimed at children of all ages
Dedicated wildlife department
• Wildlife vets
• Ecologist and environmentalist
• Breeding centre
• Rehabilitation centre
• An animal hospital
• Education centre
• Anti-poaching unit
Shamwari Private Reserve Activities
• Interactive game drives of up to three hours at sunrise and sunset
• Guided walks on request
• Star gazing
• Shamwari Cam DVD services
There are two per day in open 4 x 4 vehicles with only 6 people per vehicle accompanied by highly qualified field rangers; guests should arrive by 13.00 to take part in the afternoon drive. Although times will vary between lodges this is a typical day
06.30 Wake-up call
07.00 Continental breakfast buffet / hot breakfast
07.30 Depart for morning game drive
10.30 Return from morning game drive
11.00 Requested check-out time
12.00 Lunch served
13.00 Recommended arrival time
14.30 Afternoon tea
15.00 Depart for afternoon game drive
19.30 Pre-dinner drinks
20.00 set menu or BBQ dinner (alternates each night)
These times are for the winter months (May to August), they will begin about an hour earlier during the summer.
Animal rehabilitation centre/hospital
A visit to the rehabilitation centre includes a visit to the Animal Hospital to see the current patients as well as the extensive facilities which were featured in the popular TV series ‘Shamwari – a Wild Life.’
Born Free Foundation
Visit the Born Free Foundation, Animal Rescue and Education Centres set up to promote the conservation of species and the protection of natural habitat while maintaining a humane and compassionate approach to the welfare of animals. Guests can also visit the Dr. Ian Player Rhino Awareness Centre.
There are just a few items that should be packed for a safari in addition to our standard holiday wear, these include: sun block, walking boots, warm jackets for game drives, medication for allergies, hat/cap, comfortable and casual clothing, camera with 300-600mm lenses for good photos.
A natural extension of the famous Garden Route, Shamwari is situated just 45 minutes by car from Port Elizabeth Airport.
Distances between lodges:
• 10/15 minutes between Long Lee Manor, Riverdene and Sarili (Southern lodges)
• 20/30 minutes between Eagles Crag, Lobengula and Bayethe (Northern Lodges)
• 30/45 minutes between the Northern and Southern Lodges
Shamwari Riverdene Lodge welcomes families with children of all ages and offers the following facilities and services to ensure they have an enjoyable stay. Please note that children under 4 years of age are not allowed to join the game drives due to safety reasons.
• Units can accommodate a maximum of 2 adults & 1 child
• Each child will receive an age-appropriate gift pack
• Children’s menu
• Rim-flow swimming pool with shallow end
• Swimming activities must be supervised by parents at all times
• Children’s supervised playroom with jungle gym
Kids can enjoy a unique, educational and fun experience at Shamwari.
Indoor activities include:
• Scrap books
• Children’s books
• Board games
Outdoor activities include:
• Visit to the Born Free Foundation Big Cat Rescue Centre
• Visit to the Shamwari Animal Rehabilitation Centre
• Child-minding facilities are available at an additional cost
• For children aged younger than 4 years
Our friendly, helpful and knowledgeable travel concierge team are available to talk you through any questions, queries or concerns you may have about planning your next holiday. If you’re ready to start that conversation now, call us on 01204 269 010 but if not, schedule a call in with us below and a member of our concierge team will phone you to help you plan the holiday you deserve.