Renowned for its exotic house reef, Helengeli is now home to a re-invigorated Oblu by Atmosphere. So just what makes this resort stand out from a distinguished Maldives crowd? The answer is pretty simple, location, location, location!
Yes, pretty much every island in the Maldives is a remote talcum-fringed paradise sitting in a bath of warm, crystal water but, just occasionally, you hit on a location that gives you a house reef to dive-for!
Let’s be honest, when you are spending time in a country where the main attraction is either man-made, a beach, or the ocean, it helps that the bit of ocean surrounding your holiday home is also home to as much marine life as possible.
If you are a seasoned scuba diver or habitual snorkeller, or if you are venturing into the Indian Ocean for the first time, these are the reasons you will love this island
Manta Rays – can be seen in number between August & November – just 35 minutes from the resort. The Mantas move to the west side of the Atoll between December and April and there are spectacular full day dives to be enjoyed
Grey Reef & White Tip Sharks
Between December and April you can see Grey Reef & White Tip Sharks when channel diving and visibility is at its best. Sharks can also be seen around the house reef of the resort, virtually all year round.
Helengeli enjoys a unique location on the northernmost tip of the North Male Atoll and, as such, is one of a very few islands lying perpendicular instead of parallel to the ocean edge on the border of the atoll. The compact size of the surrounding lagoon makes it incredibly easy to access the house reef just a few metres from the beach and these are huge plus points for us as marine-explorers with limited holiday time.
Dave Martin – Diver Specialist and Consultant:
‘These unique features make diving a wonderful experience on Helengeli Island. Each side of the island is perfect for Channel Dives too. The current flow into the Atoll allows you to observed all the underwater bio-diversity including the pelagic fish category which includes tuna, shark, rays and jack fish’
So what can you expect from the dive school at Oblu by Atmosphere?
As a newbie or returner you can start with:
- Orientation check dive – full real dive on the house-reef
- Scuba review dive in the lagoon
- Packages of between 1 and 10 dives – valid for entire holiday period
- 4 to 6 days’ consecutive dive package – up to 4 dives per day
- PADI Bubble-maker from 8 years old – 1 lagoon dive including certificate
- Training dive / Discover Scuba – open water
- PADI Discover Scuba Diving – 1 lagoon lesson, 1 reef dive & certificate
- PADI Discover Scuba Diver (SD) – 3 lagoon lessons, 2 reef dives (2-3 days)
- PADI Discover Scuba Diver (OWD) – 5 lagoon lessons, 2 reef dives (4-5 days)
- Referral course – 1 lagoon lesson, 4 reef dives (2-3 days)
- Upgrade from scuba to open water – 2 lagoon lessons, 2 reef dives (2-3 days)
- PADI Adventure Diver (ADV) – 3 reef dives (1-3 days)
- Single Adventure Dive – deep, drift, night & other special dives
- PADI Advanced open water diver (AOW) – 5 reef dives (2-3 days)
- PADI Rescue Diver – 10 lessons & 4 scenarios (2-3 days)
- Nitrox PADI Enriched air diver course – 1 reef dive including course material and certification
- Emergency first response course