Travel from Budapest to Nuremberg with Scenic Cruises and Sarah, enjoying the sights, the sounds and the Exclusive Enrich Experience.
The Scenic Amber is one of Scenic’s latest generation of ‘Space-Ships’ It features a vitality pool and sun deck where you can relax over cocktails or take a sporting dip. The Panorama Lounge Bar and dining venue provides perfect views of the sites as you drift slowly past historic sites and vibrant cities. For your relaxation, there is a spa and to keep fit a gym. There are 72 suites and 13 Staterooms which become home to just 169 guests.
Arrival The Scenic Amber
Following the lovely welcome aboard which included lunch and drinks guests are escorted to their cabins. A personal butler introduction leads to a tour of the cabin and services. The Scenic Amber is impressive and innovative the Deluxe Balcony Cabin, my home for 8 days, had an electric balcony, touch screen air-con, mood lighting in the shower and a bed that can be modified to suit your comfort. Your mini-bar is replenished daily but onboard staff are so attentive that drinks appear just when needed and as if by magic.
- Luxury Surprise – Pre-dinner cocktail delivered to the suite by a personal butler who seems to know your tastes after only day 1.
Following breakfast, we were taken on a city tour of Budapest – tailor-made devices and earpieces were provided in cabin prior to departure - the guide could be clearly heard over the local noise and activity of city life and we could wander and look at the amazing sites. After exploring the Buda side we visited the Royal Palace where we experienced panoramic views of the landscape and Heroes Square (on the Pest side) where the monuments commemorate the 1000-year-old history of the Magyars.
- Exclusive Enrich Experience– Visit the Blind School for a private Piano Concert
Scenic Amber sailed from Budapest to Vienna and the day was spent relaxing by the pool, enjoying entertainment and watching the spectacular buildings, forts and castles that overlooked the river slip by.
- Exclusive Enrich Experience – Champagne reception at Palais Liechtenstein followed by opera and ballet featuring the music of Strauss and Mozart. - A truly grand affair.
Two optional excursions are offered for the day or this is an opportunity for free time to explore Vienna or luxuriate on the ship.
The excursion choices:
- A tour of historic Bratislava or a tour of Schonbrun Palace to witness the opulence of the Habsburg Empire
- A visit to the Belvedere Museum which has the greatest collection of Austrian Art dating from the Middle Ages.
We chose to explore the city by bike, the ship has their own and excitedly they are electric. We visited St Stephen’s Cathedral, Hofburg Palace and the Schonbrunn Palace briefly and still found time for lunch al-fresco and some shopping.
- Exclusive Enrich Experience – Viennese Waltz performance after dinner.
Durnstein and Melk
A short stop at Durnstein a quaint little village with a pretty churchyard and a perfect place for some souvenirs, before setting sail to Melk.
- Guided bike ride along the river from Durnstein to Melk.
- A tour of Melk and its Benedictine Abbey.
- Exclusive Enrich Experience – Sundowners overlooking the Wachau Valley from the castle accompanied by traditional Austrian folk music.
A highlight of the trip. There are two excursion choices but we took the tour to Salzburg, birthplace of Mozart and backdrop to the wonderful 'Sound of Music'. The tour guide was dressed in traditional Austrian attire and at the Schloss Hellbrunn, home of the famous gazebo, invited us to sing songs from the movie! The tour also includes passing the convent where the real-life Maria Von Trapp lived. The walk around the city included Mozart’s birthplace, his favourite coffee shop and the smallest house in Austria.
The afternoon was free for exploration.
- Exclusive Enrich Experience – Austrian dancing in the bar complete with Lederhosen. I encourage you to give it a go.
We chose to relax on the inviting sun-deck, enjoy the attentive service of the staff, chat with newly-made friends - plus eat and drink as the mood tock us - everything is included on a Scenic Cruise.
Excursion Option: Local guided walk around Regensburg’s old town, wealthy merchant’s houses, the Old Bridge and the Porta Praetoria which dates back to Roman times.
From Regensburg you can take the ferry to Weltenburg Abbey where you can sample beer from one of the oldest monastic breweries in the world.
Arrive in Nuremberg - our final visit. A last Scenic breakfast, goodbyes to wonderful staff and new friends and a short tour of the city and castle before our transfer to the airport. At Christmas time you'll be able to take a peek at the Christmas Market.
So much fun. Early mornings and late nights ensure you enjoy cultural visits, traditional experiences and Hungarian, Austrian and Exclusive Enrich Entertainments. Future-cruise cabins, faultless service, and excellent food make your journey and exploration comfortable and exciting.
In My Opinion: Scenic River Cruises ticks all the boxes and Gems of the Danube is a jewel in their crown.