Combine Dubai with desert and beach adventures, or flop and drop relaxation.
My recent destination research landed me in Mauritius staying at the Lux* group of hotels. I loved them, each is unique, but all have the attention to detail, special brand touch and spontaneity that we expect from Lux*. Here’s why I love Lux* and what makes each resort distinct.
I have travelled to many, many hotels as part of my job and consequently have experienced all-inclusive packages around the world. In my opinion, Lux* is quite possibly the best I have experienced anywhere. Yes, it is a little more, but the extra is well worth it. You need to check out each hotel for their all-inclusive offers but at Lux* Belle Mare attention to guests includes picnic baskets for anyone on an excursion, beach and room service for those who want to totally chill out and water and land sports for those who want to get active. I love a ‘no bill at the end’ holiday.
Lux* Touches to Love
- Lux* starts your holiday with a little sprinkle of magic. On check-in, you will be presented with your tag and ribbon for the Tree of Wishes. Write your wish and hang it on the tree, Lux* can’t guarantee it will come true, but the experience is beautiful. I can’t tell you mine, but I do hope it will be coming true!
- In Lux* hotels and resorts you will find ICI, Lux*’s very own ice-cream brand served from retro-styled parlours or mobile carts. You are never too old for ice-cream and the vanilla is spectacular as are all of the ones I tried!
- At Café Lux* the philosophy is great coffee and to ensure yours is perfect the ethically sourced blend is roasted on-site by baristas who are specialists in their field. Try the Nitro coffee – the perfect cold shot for a warm Mauritian day. I had a go at blending but have decided to leave it to the professionals.
- Cinema Paradiso is beanbags, popcorn, ICI ice-cream and blockbuster movies under the stars within the gardens, near the beach.
- Look out for the red, vintage telephone boxes – phone home on Lux* and boast about what a fantastic holiday you are having. I did!
- Lux* Me is about that holiday state of mind, feeling healthier, happier and relaxed. Yoga, meditation, personal training and outdoor classes to suit you. Meditation on the beach at sunset was an experience I will never forget.
- Spontaneity is Lux* in a nutshell, or should I say bottle! Spot one of the Lux* ‘Message in a Bottle’ and you will be in for a treat. It could be a spa treatment, candlelit dinner or … Let's not spoil the surprise.
And there are more surprises at Lux* you can experience for yourself.
Lux* Touches in Mauritius
Lux* Belle Mare
- Kids’ massage at the Kids’ Club. Everyone in the family gets to totally relax. For me, the Shirley Page Signature Massage left me feeling ‘rejuvenated.’
- Chocolate workshop – tasting, making, eating – what is not to love?
- Amari By Vineet. I never want to eat anywhere else, ever, but I was spoilt for choice in the resort. You must try the Bulleit Rouge Cocktail too, the mixologist at Lux* Belle Mare is award-winning.
- Flute – if you are looking for romance go for a fine dining experience under the stars in your private dug-out on the beach.
Lux* Grand Gaube
- Retro chic design by Kelly Hoppen, especially the lobby with its views over the ocean, breathtaking.
- Beach Rouge restaurant and lounge – laid back drinks and dining with a Lux* Beach Rouge soundtrack filling the air is LAIDBACK in capital letters!
- Golf driving range. Not for me but I know many a golfing enthusiast, if you are one talk to Bruce, my colleague, he loves the Mauritius fairways and greens.
- G&T 100 Club. Old favourites and new bright blends for the gin lover, well who doesn’t love one?
- Perfectly romantic location. Tropical garden hideaway overlooked by Le Morne (UNESCO World Heritage site).
- Access to the mountain after 4pm – watch the sunset over the west coast with a glass of Champagne. I was told this is a magical spot for a proposal and Lux* can make it happen, even flying in rings with a drone!
- PhotoFanatics and Hemant, the resident photographer, will show you how to capture the perfect shot whether you have an SLR or are a smartphone user looking for those Insta moments.
- Dolphins and maybe whales. I didn’t get the chance, but Lux* Le Morne has a floating lounge which will transport you to the Dolphins where you can watch them play and feed. From July to September you may even glimpse a Humpback whale.
Further Mauritius travels meant I luckily got to visit Tamassa and Salt of Palmar both part of the Lux* collective in Mauritius.
- Sega dance on the beach. I watched the traditional dance beside a fire pit and listening to live musicians. I even learnt a few moves.
- Service and dining is exceptional. The dine-around includes all the restaurants which ranges from serene candlelit dinners to gourmet street food at the Chef’s Truck.
- With Trucks in mind. The Rum Truck is an education in rum from distillation and ageing to blending. Rum is, after all, the new gin, if you know what I mean?
- Another ‘wow’ all-inclusive!
Salt of Palmar
- Beach meditation! After a day of travel, the arrival meditation was just what my mind, body and soul needed. Yours too, I expect?
- Cookery class - I can now rustle up something delicious.
- Rooftop cocktails, each with a story – its and mine!
- Sustainability and environmental practices really impressed me as I strive to become better at both too.
Please call and speak to me if you are thinking of Mauritius as your next holiday destination, my colleagues and I are experts, who have visited, stayed and tested and we are happy to help you make your choice.
Lux* also delivers its Lux* touches to properties in the Maldives and Turkey.