Island hop from romantic seclusion to spa and wellness to activities and exploration. We guide you through the islands’ personalities, the way to travel between destinations and which islands combine beautifully for you to get the most from your Seychelles experience.
The Seychelles are a sanctuary in the Indian Ocean, an archipelago of islands where the welcome is friendly, the location unspoilt and the service and accommodation is world-class.
The Islands comprise of the ‘inner’ granite cluster of Mahé, Praslin and La Digue and the outer ‘coralline’ havens which extend towards Africa – combining the two distinct environments is a unique experience.
Start your Seychelles Island Hopping with one, two or three of the Inner Granite Islands.
Home to the capital, Victoria, Mahé is where visitors touch down at the international airport. The North of the island is bustling with tourist facilities and retail outlets – the South is filled with picturesque villages and offers a quieter, more relaxing way of life.
Must see and do:
- Explore the capital, Victoria – two cathedrals, Hindu Temple, vibrant market and botanical gardens.
- Visit Beau Vallon and the granite fringed beaches and coves to snorkel and swim.
- Take to Morne Seychellois National Park walking trails and towering peaks.
- Nightlife - Visit Eden Island’s elegant marina and mall, casino and bars.
Where to stay on Mahé:
- Constance Ephelia, Port Launay, Mahé – Overlooking a National Marine Park villas are in a garden or near the beach. Constance hospitality will not disappoint.
- Carana Beach, Mahé – A resort where guests will totally relax and the Sens Spa is a must-visit.
Praslin is a little more laid back than Mahé but it still offers a view of local island life. The beaches are potential photographic masterpieces and the natural environment is often compared to Eden. The second largest of the Seychellois islands, Praslin is a 60-minute hop by sea or a 20-minute hop by plane (there are over 30 flights a day).
Must see and do:
- Vallee de Mai Nature Reserve – a UNESCO World Heritage Site and location to find the famous double-lobed ‘Coco-de Mer’ coconut.
- Take the Praslin Heritage Route – cultural and historical sites and monuments around the island.
- Play Golf at Lemuria – one of only two golf courses in the Seychelles.
- Island Hop a little more - take a trip to Curieuse Island, home to the giant Aldabra Tortoises or to uninhabited St Pierre Island for snorkelling.
Where to stay on Praslin:
- Coco de Mer, Praslin – Private cabanas with stunning sea views and two pools overlooking the granite landscape. Service is always with a smile.
- Raffles Seychelles, Praslin – Water sports and diving, family activities including Ranger for the Day, and restaurants and bars to suit everyone.
- Constance Lemuria, Praslin – Suites metres from the ocean. Golfing enthusiasts will love the resort and there is plenty of other sport on the water or land.
If Praslin is laidback, La Digue is positively sleepy! There are virtually no cars so bicycle or oxcart is the way to travel. Here you will find French Colonial architecture which reflects the traditions and antiquity of this little paradise. From Mahé the ferry hop via Praslin takes 90 minutes.
Must see and do:
- Granite boulders shelter hidden bays which are perfect for snorkelling and exploring marine life.
- Cycle across the island and explore the natural wildlife whilst keeping your eyes peeled for the Black Paradise Flycatcher – one of the rarest birds on earth.
- Take a picnic to Belle Vue and Nid D’Aigle, the highest points on the island, and enjoy the view.
- Head to a spa for pampering and a couple’s massage.
Take a day trip from Mahe or Praslin.
Island Hop to the Outer Islands
North of Mahé, Denis Island has just 25 cottages and villas close to the beach, its own farm and plenty of local wildlife. Families will love the village-like feel of the island and there is plenty to keep all ages occupied in the water or on the land and for explorers, there are free bikes.
Fly from Mahé – 30 minute journey, one flight a day.
Less than 3 miles from La Digue and the Sister Islands, Felicité was a coconut population up to the 1970s. Six Senses Zil Pasyon will make guests to the island feel treasured with their GEMs (Guest Experience Maker). Try a cooking course at the resort or take to the water for snorkelling and kayaking; they also arrange further island-hopping trips.
La Digue to Felicité is 15 minutes by boat.
155 miles from Mahé, Desroches is still unspoiled. Creole architectural style dominates the accommodation of Villas and Suites at the Four Seasons Resort Desroches Island. Water sports are many, the resort has a Wildlife Discovery Centre and the Kids’ Club means adults can relax on the beach or by the pool. There is also a tortoise sanctuary to visit.
Fly from Mahé - 30-minutes, seven flights a week.
In the middle of the National Marine Park, Round Island is where Enchanted Island Resort can be found. Just 10 Oceanfront Villas with infinity pools make this an idyllic hideaway, just as the name suggests. Perfect for couples looking for romance.
From Praslin Round Island is a 5 minute boat ride.
Unspoilt, this is the perfect island to explore. There are nature trails through the natural mountainous landscape which gives way to beaches and coral reefs. Dive from the PADI Centre at Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and explore the sheer granite underwater cliffs. If you are feeling like a pamper, the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort Spa offers lots of wonderful treatments.
Mahé to Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa – 15-minute Helicopter journey.
There are 115 islands in the Seychelles archipelago and their diversity makes island hopping a must to appreciate their different characters and personalities. You can travel by domestic aircraft, catamaran, ferry, helicopter or yacht charter.
Any Seychelles Island Hopping combinations can be arranged by Destinology’s Indian Ocean Experts but we recommend:
- For Romantics: La Digue – Curieuse - Round Island
- For Fun Lovers: Mahé – Cerf - Silhouette Island
- For Explorers: Praslin – La Digue - Felicité
- For Nature Lovers: Praslin – Round Island - Denis Island
- For Families: Mahé – Denis Island – Desroches